[Linux-HA] Redundant Rings "Still Not There?"

Vadym Chepkov vchepkov at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 15:57:35 MDT 2010

On Oct 24, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Robinson, Eric wrote:

>> Heartbeat is not deprecated, it is still supported by Linbut
>> folks. (Many thanks to them). But if you need clvmd, GFS2,
>> you would have to use corosync, for example.
>
> It may not be "deprecated" per se, but there is no "getting started"
> guide on the ClusterLabs site for using PaceMaker+Heartbeat like there
> are for OpenAIS and Corosync. And there definitely seems to be a
> perception in the community, correct or not, that heartbeat's days are
> numbered.
>
> I notice that when I did 'yum install pacemaker', I got both corosync
> and heartbeat with it.
>
> [root at ha07a ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i heart
> heartbeat-3.0.3-2.3.el5
> drbd-heartbeat-8.3.8.1-1
> heartbeat-libs-3.0.3-2.3.el5
> heartbeat-libs-3.0.3-2.3.el5
> [root at ha07a ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i coros
> corosync-1.2.7-1.1.el5
> corosynclib-1.2.7-1.1.el5
> corosynclib-1.2.7-1.1.el5
> [root at ha07a ~]#

Don't let me even start on that :) But I suggest you at least to add multilib_policy=best into /etc/yum.conf.

> Can you suggest a good guide for getting started with
> heartbeat+pacemaker instead of corosync+pacemaker?

Even in "Cluster from scratch" the corosync part is minimal, probably 2 pages out of 100.
And as said - corosync is used, because of GFS2 resources in the example cluster.
DMC (DRBD Management Console), I suggested earlier, will create and even populate heartbeat configuration for you.
But don't let me stop you from using corosync, you still can build your particular cluster with the same amount of hardware.
Use redundant bonding with two switches and one corosync ring and have your direct cable links (no need for cross-over cables on gigabit ethernets, by the way) between DRBD nodes.
Absolutely the same pacemaker configuration.

Vadym