[Linux-HA] Redundant Rings "Still Not There?"

Robinson, Eric eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Sat Oct 23 12:23:46 MDT 2010

> Looks like you are mixing up physical connections
> and Corosync rings.

I should not have mentioned DRBD at all as it confuses the question.

Let me try it this way:

How do I build a three-node Corosync cluster with redundant heartbeat
paths? I don't trust the switched network or the Ethernet bonding
drivers to be 100% reliable, and it is just good practice to have
multiple heartbeat paths. On my old 2-node clusters, I have three
heartbeat paths: the switched network, back-to-back links, and serial
cables.

It sounds like you are saying that to have multiple heartbeat paths on a
3-node Corosync cluster, each heartbeat path must be through a separate
switched network or VLAN. I can see why this would be the case.

I was hoping that a crossover cable could be used to form a "logical"
ring between two nodes, and that I could configure two logical rings
between 3 servers.

So really, maybe I'm not trying to build a 3-node cluster. What I'm
really trying to build are two 2-node clusters where one of the physical
servers participates in BOTH 2-node clusters. CLUSTER1 would consist of
physical servers A and C. CLUSTER2 would consist of physical servers B
and C.

So maybe what I want to know is, is it possible to run multiple
"instances" of Corosync on server C, such that it participates in two
separate clusters?

Thanks for your patience. I had no idea this would end up being so
complicated. "3-node cluster" is much easier to say than to configure,
apparently. :-)

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - October 23, 2010
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for General Linux-HA mailing list. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.