[Linux-HA] heartbeat with postgresql

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Sat Oct 23 01:51:52 MDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Greg Woods <woods at ucar.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 18:32 +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> if you're just using v1 - thats not a cluster,
>> thats a prayer.
>
> Then God must answer my prayers, because I have been using some simple
> heartbeat v1/DRBD clusters for YEARS, for critical services like DNS.
> They have worked flawlessly and always failed over properly when
> individual servers developed problems or had to be taken offline for
> maintenance.

Not all services are as well behaved as DNS evidently was for you.
Had it failed, heartbeat would have done nothing and continued to
report that everything was fine - unless you also configured mon.

Correcting that gaping hole does not count as an "advanced" feature.

> I work in an environment where four or five nines are not
> required.
>
> As I see it, heartbeat v1 is only suitable in situations where you have
> a small number of resources, and the resource start order can be defined
> strictly linearly. In those cases, it works quite well, and I have a
> number of cases like that.
>
> This is my last contribution to this thread. It is obvious that some
> people have already decided that hearbeat v1 can't ever work. I am
> obviously not going to change anyone's mind, and the obvious fact is
> that you can no longer get any support for running heartbeat v1.

I'm not arguing it can't work.
I'm arguing the effort and complexity of getting it to work _properly_
approaches or surpasses that of an equivalent pacemaker cluster.

The devil is always in the details, people often think they're done
after that one line in haresources, but its only the beginning.