[Linux-HA] heartbeat with postgresql

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 22 11:32:44 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 18:32 +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> if you're just using v1 - thats not a cluster,
> thats a prayer.

Then God must answer my prayers, because I have been using some simple
heartbeat v1/DRBD clusters for YEARS, for critical services like DNS.
They have worked flawlessly and always failed over properly when
individual servers developed problems or had to be taken offline for
maintenance. I work in an environment where four or five nines are not
required.

As I see it, heartbeat v1 is only suitable in situations where you have
a small number of resources, and the resource start order can be defined
strictly linearly. In those cases, it works quite well, and I have a
number of cases like that.

This is my last contribution to this thread. It is obvious that some
people have already decided that hearbeat v1 can't ever work. I am
obviously not going to change anyone's mind, and the obvious fact is
that you can no longer get any support for running heartbeat v1. I
continue to use v1 on some clusters because it is already configured and
working and has done what I needed it to do. My newer clusters are more
complicated and therefore do use pacemaker. My old clusters are due to
be replaced with virtual machines that run on the new clusters, so I
expect in a few months I will have completely phased out v1 anyway.

--Greg