[Linux-HA] Searching for Heartbeat 2.1.4 GUI for CentOS 4.4 x86_64

Tony Hunter tony at uniserve.com
Wed Oct 20 15:21:06 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 09:59:31PM +0200, Rasto Levrinc wrote:
> On Wed, October 20, 2010 8:10 pm, Tony Hunter wrote:
>

> > What are the requirements for the unix hosts, if I want to run DRBD MC
> > on 'the other' OS. :).
> >
> > I tested firing up DMC-0.8.2.jar on a WIN box, and found I had to
> > download drbd-mc-0.8.2.tar.gz and copy drbd-gui-helper to /usr/local/bin/
> > on the unix hosts. Is thaty all that's needed?.
>
> Normally it should be installed by DRBD MC, whatever OS you are using. It
> should be called /usr/local/bin/drbd-gui-helper-0.8.2 in this case. Are
> you saying it's not there? If you copy it there and rename it, it should
> be enough. I promise I test it on Windows next time. :)

How do you mean? If I downloaded DMC-0.8.2.jar and executed it on a WIN
client, how would I know about "it should be installed by DRBD MC, whatever
OS you are using". I don't see anything at http://oss.linbit.com/drbd-mc/
or http://www.drbd.org/mc/management-console/ that gives cluster host
requirements for DMC-0.8.2.jar.

It was only after I ran DMC-0.8.2.jar that I realized it was looking
for /usr/local/bin/drbd-gui-helper-0.8.2 on the cluster hosts. So it
seeemed logical I should download drbd-mc-0.8.2.tar.gz to see if it
contained drbd-gui-helper. So I copied drbd-gui-helper to /usr/local/bin
and created the /usr/local/bin/drbd-gui-helper-0.8.2 symlink pointing
to it (after having a look to what it does).

As I'm just sort of 'kicking the tires', I was only installing the
minimum needed to have a look.

> > Also when adding cluster
> > hosts, the interface does not initially accept host IP addresses - in fact
> > it tried to do DNS resolution on the IP address, which failed. (These
> > hosts are on an internal network with no internal network dns).
>
> Actually it shouldn't be a problem. Even if it fails you should be able to
> continue after 4 seconds time out. This DNS resolution of the IP address
> is actually not necessary anymore and will be removed.

Yes, in fact it did continue, but it was awkward - I thought "why does
it need DNS, I gave an IP address?"

> > One can click through this and eventually the host is seen, but it's
> > awkward. I bailed out after it told me my corosync.conf differed btw.
> > cluster hosts (only whitespace differences), as I don't want to risk
> > having it make config. changes on me. It's interesting though. :)
>
> If you would press the next button the config wouldn't be changed, only if
> you would press "Create Corosync config" button, that is disabled by
> default. I know it is not very clear at this point and I am thinking how
> to improve it. So yes you could press next couple of times you would be
> done. :)

I will try again now that you have reassured us. Thanks :)

> Rasto
>
> --
> : Dipl-Ing Rastislav Levrinc
> : DRBD-MC http://www.drbd.org/mc/management-console/
> : DRBD/HA support and consulting http://www.linbit.com/
> DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.

regards,
-tony