[Linux-HA] exit code for status when program is stopped, 7 or 3

Pavlos Parissis pavlos.parissis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 02:25:41 MDT 2010

Hi,

I am checking if my script which starts a program is LSB compliant.
So, I followed the steps mentioned here [1] and in one of the steps
says

Status (stopped):
/etc/init.d/some_service status ; echo "result: $?"

Did the script accept the command?
Did the script indicate the service was not running?
Did the command print result: 3 (in addition to the regular output)?

So, if the program is stopped the status should return 3, is that exit
code equivalent with the OCF_NOT_RUNNING return code?
Where is set to 7
[root at node-01 ~]# grep OCF_NOT_RUNNING
/usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/heartbeat/.ocf-returncodes
OCF_NOT_RUNNING=7

Reading the code of /usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/heartbeat/Dummy I conclude
that my script should return 7 and not 3.
Am I right?

[1]
http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.0/html/Pacemaker_Explained/ap-lsb.html