[Linux-HA] Stonith with APCSmart UPS1000 +Network ManagementCard

Ehlers, Kolja ehlers at clinresearch.com
Fri Jul 10 08:58:38 MDT 2009

Hello again,

I am not to familiar with SNMP but I guess this management card does not allow shutdown. I was looking for the rPDU branch which is
used by the apcmastersnmp but it is not listed. I guess if you think about it it makes sence as the UPS is not a PDU device.
Probably I have to look somewhere else.

Could somebody explain how the APC Smart shutdown command works? Does it actually allow to take away the power from only one of the
connected servers or does it just take away the power from everything that is connected?

If I am overlooking this correctly a APC UPS can only shutdown everything that is connected not only one jack only. That means for a
three node cluster two APC UPSes are not good enough even if I somehow manage to signal shutdown to an UPS.

Thanks