[Linux-HA] Heartbeat, GFS, Samba, and NFS

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Mon Sep 24 06:45:46 MDT 2007

No, I've actually decided against OFCS2.  Our environment shares files with both Linux and Windows-based machines, and we've come to rely on POSIX ACLs for advanced permissions.  OCFS2 does not support POSIX ACLs, and it has been a topic of discussion for 2+ years on the OCFS2 list with no work done, yet (as far as I can tell).  I'm not criticizing, mind you - I certainly haven't contributed to it, so I have little room to talk - but I need a filesystem that supports POSIX ACLs for our environment.  It's on the 1.4 roadmap, but there's no indication when that will be ready, and there's also no indication that code for extended attributes and POSIX ACLs has actually been written and/or checked in, so I'm not sure that's going to work in my timeframe.

Second, the filesystem isn't the issue - I have GFS up and running perfectly right now.  I don't think using OCFS2, instead, would solve my issues with getting the exports and samba configuration entries done through heartbeat correctly - heartbeat still seems to expect a non-cluster filesystem that will be unmounted and remounted as the services move.

I'll take a look at the link you sent, though - maybe I can get a few hints from it, anyway.

Thanks,
Nick

On 9/23/07, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman at seakr.com> wrote:
> Hey, Everyone,
> I'm running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and trying to get a sort of clustered file server setup going.  SLES10 uses heartbeat for the clustering/HA setup, and I've chosen GFS for the filesystem to back the system.  I'd like to use GFS because I want both file servers (and our backup server) to have access to the file system simultaneously (the backup system can access it read-only).  If one of the servers fails I'd like to avoid the issue of having the backup server remount it.

you might want to consider OCFS2 instead
   http://wiki.novell.com/images/3/37/Exploring_HASF.pdf

the major advantage being that everything is using the same membership
layers (so you dont get the FS thinking a node is part of the cluster
while heartbeat thinks its dead - or vice-versa)

check out the above url for details on setting it all up on sles10