[Linux-HA] mgmtd and SLES9

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 7 05:47:51 MDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:10:42AM +0200, Jose Jerez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile heartbeat 2.1.2 in SLES9 SP3 on Power, but I got
> an annoying problems with mgmtd/hb_gui
>
> When connecting to heartbeat using hb_gui the following error pops up:
> "Failed in the authentication. User Name or Password may be wrong or
> the user dons't belong the the haclient group"
>
> The password is right, I can connect using ssh, and the user hacluster
> belongs to the haclient group
>
> # id hacluster
> uid=90(hacluster) gid=90(haclient)
> groups=90(haclient),14(uucp),16(dialout),17(audio),33(video)
>
> This error message appears in the log file:
>
> mgmtd[5656]: 2007/09/04_09:57:37 ERROR: on_listen receive login msg failed
>
> No other error messages appear in the logs
>
> Heartbeat seems to start fine, and the CIB is empty, no resources or
> nodes configured yet.
>
> The system is SLES9 SP3 on Power (ppc64) and the Heartbeat version is
> 2.1.2 compiled from source.
>
> I compiled the same source on a SLES10SP1 on i586 and didn't find the
> problem, at least not after changing the /etc/pam.d/hbmgmtd to use pam_unix2.so
>
> So my guess here is that some libraries in SLES9 are too old for
> mgmtd.  Am I right?

No, I don't think so.

> Is it actually possible to have this combination of SLES9 and
> heartbeat 2.1.2 working?

Yes, it should work.

> I'll keep on trying for a solution to this, otherwise I might have to
> use HACMP and I don't like that a bit.

HACMP? Really?

> Any hints to solve this will be appreciate

This is most probably a pam problem, but most probably a not very
obvious one. Since your ssh connection works, could you try
replicating the pam configuration for ssh to hbmgmtd. Just the
part which makes sense, of course (auth and account).

Otherwise, you could try debuging pam. I suppose that there's a
way to do that on SLES9.

Interestingly, on my opensuse 10.2 pam_unix.so works fine.

Thanks,

Dejan