[Linux-HA] pingd, quorum, split-brain... should I give up?

Fabian Herschel fabian.herschel at novell.com
Tue Oct 23 07:45:53 MDT 2007

Riccardo Perni schrieb:

> Andrew Beekhof <beekhof at gmail.com> ha scritto:

>>> Do you mean that the cluster will continue to work even if I have a
>>> failure on the quorum server?
>>
>> my understanding is that the quorum server is not used unless you
>> already dont have quorum... at which point you've lost half your nodes
>> anyway
>
> Uhm, but at this point I already have a split-brain condition... or not?
No split brain means you have (at least) two cluster sides which both
means to be
THE cluster. The quorum server helps here. Only one side of the cluster gets
the quorum.

> --Riccardo Perni
> Unità Operativa Informatica Aziendale
> ASL Roma-B

SUSE LINUX GmbH,
Maxfeldstr. 5, D - 90409 Nürnberg
Phone:  +49 (0)69  - 2174-1923
FaxFFM: +49 (0)69  - 2174-1740
FaxDUS: +49 (0)211 - 5631-3769
e-mail: fabian.herschel at novell.com

SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Volker Smid, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

PLEASE NOTE:  This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged
material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
distribution or other use by anyone else is strictly prohibited.  If you
are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all
copies.  Thank you.