[Linux-HA] configuring CTS - (Was: Wrong includes when using colocations with groups)

Dave Blaschke debltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 17 13:34:32 MDT 2007

Marian Neubert wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Beekhof schrieb:
>> small item: please include outputs as attachments rather than inline
>> text.
> hmm, i'm sure i've attached the logs...
>
>>> According to andrews "colocation explained"-pictures "R_mysqld" and
>>> "R_apache"'s location-score 500 for the node "test1" should be included
>>>   in the groups.
>>
>> that document indicates that it only applies to 2.1.2-4 and later
>> colocation got a major overhaul after 2.1.2 went out.
>> try grabbing an interim build and retesting.
>
> ok, that tiny "-4" should explain the "false" behaviour with groups ;o)
>
> i'm continuing my tests with an interim build - but i'm not willing to
> run such an unreleased version in a production-environment :o(
>
> (better i use no groups at all and configure everything as single
> resources with some more order- and colocation-constraints...)
>

> BTW: how do i configure the CTS correctly?
Ideally you'll want to run CTS from a third machine - the test exerciser
- that monitors the behavior of the two nodes in the cluster.  The ha.cf
and heartbeat version should be the same on all three machines, and
syslog-ng should be setup to send messages to the exerciser.
> when i explicitely enable stonith-testing with the command:
>
> python ./CTSlab.py -v2 --stonith yes --standby yes 5 > /tmp/cts_output
> 2>&1 &
>
> then none of these tests are executed (see attached logfile).
You did enable stonith tests, but tests are chosen randomly from all
runnable tests, so with only 5 tests your chances of running stonith are
small.  If you want to run just one type of test, you can use the
--choose option to do so (i.e. --choose stonith).

> stonith is enabled and configured to reboot failed nodes. a
> stonith-clone with "apcmastersnmp" is configured, running and working
> (tested earlier by hand). startup-fencing is enabled.
CTS comes with it's own built-in configuration (it generates its own
CIB), and the stonith device it uses is ssh.   So even if you have
apcmastersnmp setup correctly, it will not be used by CTS.