[Linux-HA] No local heartbeat. Forcing restart

Bernd Schubert bs at q-leap.de
Wed Oct 17 08:24:03 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 15:44:53 Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 06:04:18PM -0700, Shiney James wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got the following message 'No local heartbeat. Forcing restart". When
> > is such a message triggered. With this will heartbeat restart itself.
>
> It's in the faq:
>
> http://www.linux-ha.org/FAQ#head-603ae54dcef2bc31e0933fbf00cd49df8856777a

I really think this "No local heartbeat. Forcing restart" is just ridiculous.
Either the system is dead and then it also can't restart itself or the the
system is in operating state, but then it also doesn't need to reset itself.

So far I haven't seen this issue here with heartbeat2, but in my former group
we had to set heartbeat1 timeouts to 4 min (!) due to the useless
self-resetting. The system was working perfectly, local shell and other
daemons were working without a problem, only heartbeat thought it had to shut
itself.
Usually this happend after a reboot of the other failover system when it did
drbd resyncing, but as I said, this was only an issue with heartbeat.

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert