[Linux-HA] Other open source of heartbeat available?

Ian Jiang ianjiang.cn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:22:28 MDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.de> wrote:
> On 2007-10-16T12:11:24, Ian Jiang <ianjiang.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >       I want to use the hearbeat idea in an embedded environment. The
> >       current Linux heartbeat is too complicated, because an embedded
> >       system differs a lot with a general Linux cluster, and is
> >       usually much simpler and less of variability. So I am wondering
> >       whether there is other high available system using the heartbeat
> >       idea with simple architecture and is applicable for me as a
> >       reference. Open sources is better. Any suggestion is
> >       appreciated!
>
> You mean, whether there are other HA solutions? Of course.
>
> There keepalived, the RedHat Cluster Suite, some implementations of the
> Service-Availability-Forum specifications ... Google will tell you more
> about them ;-)

Thanks Lars very much! I am looking for HA solutions with heartbeat,
in fact. I am  going to see the details of the Redhat Cluster Suite
and  the Open Source Development Labs (OSDL)'s implementation of AIS
of Service-Availability-Forum. Besides, I found two projects on
SourceForge, OpenHA (http://open-ha-cluster.sourceforge.net/) and
StrikeHA (http://sourceforge.net/projects/strike-ha/), which interest
me a lot.

> But even Linux HA isn't too complicated for embedded systems; just
> because the flexibility is there doesn't mean you've got to use it. You
> could deploy a standarized configuration just the same.

What is the simplest configuration if the availability of only one
particular application (rather than the common web/mail services) need
to be enhanced and the recovery progress (i.e. the start/stop/restart
operation) is defined by myself? Are apphbd and heartbeat enough,
according to the architecture introduced at
http://www.linux-ha.org/BasicArchitecture?