[Linux-HA] "CIB Disk Write" Options - Feedback Requested

Andrew Beekhof abeekhof at suse.de
Tue Feb 14 06:49:22 MST 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Francis Montagnac wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Can anyone using either of the following two options please reply and
>> indicate what why they are using them.
>>   -  "enable_config_writes off" in ha.cf, or
>>   -  "suppress_cib_writes=true" option in the CIB itself.
>
> I am _not_ using any more those options since you fixed:
>
>   cibadmin --id <id> -U -x <file>

Pretty sure the --id is redundant now

> on January 26 (but I haven't try yet in 2.0.3).
>
> I prefer to keep the static part of the CIB in a file (maintained with
> CVS), outside heartbeat control, then apply any update to a running
> crm
> with "cibadmin --id -U".

I should probably point out that 2.0.3 no longer writes the status
section of the CIB to disk at all.

This makes it sound like you still use the options though... I'm not
sure I see the link between the -U option being fixed (sorry about
that) and it being ok to write the CIB to the disk.

> This implies to give an id to the CIB tag itself (at least).

See above.  You shouldn't *need* to, but its perfectly legal if you
want to.

> I confirm that this works well for modifying or even adding resources
> without stopping hearbeat.
>
> Furthermore, in last resort one may stop hearbeat on every node, copy
> this file under /var/lib/heartbeat/crm, then restart heartbeat.

If people want to modify the on-disk version directly (which I HIGHLY
DISCOURAGE) this is your only option.

> Guess I'm not a GUI fan :-)

Long live the CLI! :-)

--
Andrew Beekhof

"I like your old stuff better than your new stuff" - Regurgitator