[Linux-HA] heartbeat for iptables FW

Gary W. Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Mon Feb 6 15:35:55 MST 2006

That's more of a netfilter question than a ha question but I will give
it a shot.  Assuming that you have a dedicated heartbeat interface you
would do something like:

# Assuming eth1 is your heartbeat interface
# You would also want to put this somewhere before you're drop
# rules.
HB=eth1
iptables -A input -i $HB -j ACCEPT
iptables -A output -o $HB -j ACCEPT

if you are using a shared interface, which I wouldn't recommend, you
would want to do something like:
HB=eth1
HBPORT=694 # use your actual port that is in your haconfig file.
iptables -A input -i $HB -p tcp -m tcp --dport=$HBPORT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A input -o $HB -j ACCEPT