[Linux-HA] Ipfail support for heartbeat 2.0.x

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Wed Oct 19 08:33:24 MDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> I can think of a second path, which doesn't require the daemon to be
> cluster-aware and yet reduces PE invocations: We have two margins. d1 is
> the difference between the metric and the one in the CIB at which we
> _update_ the CIB; d2 would be the margin at which the PE considers the
> difference across nodes significant. If d1 would be approximately half
> the value of d2, this would cause the invocations of the PE to be
> reduced significantly, and yet should also reduce pointless bouncing.
>
> If setting d1 to 1/2 d2 is sufficient, this might be the best way to go,
> because then it can be automatically done, and it might be in fact the
> best solution, because it doesn't require yet another daemon to be
> cluster-aware.

is this daemon you are refering to someting that runs on each node?

if so you need to detect that it failed on a particular node and is no
longer updateing the values on that node.

if not then any state that this daemon keeps in it's calculations will be
lost if it dies or the node it is running on fails.

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare