[Linux-HA] More questions about IPaddr & /proc/fs/nfs/exports

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Mon Mar 21 17:22:11 MST 2005

Kian_Chang_Low at veritasdgc.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While working on an active/active NFS server setup, I notice the
> following and wonder the following,
>
> 1) in IPaddr, in the subroutine "delete_interface ()", I noticed that I
> have to put a lapse in the close of this command to prevent the server
> from notifying the client about its "exportfs -u" command. Typically a
> "sleep" of 3 or more second seems sufficient. But I was wondering
> whether anyone knows which resource/file that this command changes so
> that we can look directly at, instead of having an arbitrary sleep of a
> few seconds?

To *prevent* it from notifying the client, or to *allow* it to notify the
client?

What's your resource order in haresources?

If you really mean 'prevent', then I would assume you have the IP address
after the NFS server in your haresources file.

If this is the case, then I suspect that the interface has to come down
completely before exiting.

If this is the case, then perhaps it might loop waiting for "status" or
"monitor" to indicate it's really gone.

But, there might not be any obvious externally-visible events to wait for.

We do have a Delay resource which might be of some help, assuming you don't
find anything to look at to tell if the IP address is really gone...

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce