[Linux-HA] 2 subnets separated by cisco 6509 switch

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Wed Mar 16 16:01:35 MST 2005

Carson Gaspar wrote:

> --On Wednesday, March 16, 2005 06:18:46 -0700 Alan Robertson
> <alanr at unix.sh> wrote:
>
>> Although it's true that we're pretty practially oriented, I don't think
>> we're *quite* as ignorant as you imply ;-).
>

> I didn't mean to imply ignorance of something as basic as quorum ;-)
>
> I do think that writing our own messaging protocol from scratch for n >
> 2 servers was effort that could have been better spent, given the number
> of existing systems. But as I didn't do the heavy lifting, I really
> can't bitch - perhaps there are issues of which I'm unaware.

The messaging protocol was written about 5 years ago.  It has always
supported more than 2 nodes.   Nothing open source was available at that
time.  In fact, only in the last year has anything else open source shown
up (one is GPL and one is BSD-licensed).

And, they still assume that they run on a trusted network - a seriously
broken assumption AFAICT.

Lots of research projects existed.  But they were research projects, and
not licensed for OSS work.

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce