[Linux-HA] extrernal Stonith device...

Peter Weiss Peter.Weiss at ConSol.de
Tue Mar 15 08:57:47 MST 2005

Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh> writes:

> Peter Weiss wrote:
>[...]
>
> For release 1.2.x:
>
> It looks pretty strange...
>
> Status always returns OK (no matter what).  I.e., status is meaningless...
> poweron/poweroff/reset are all treated the same.
>
> It just runs the same command string you gave it regardless of whether
> the command given to it is:
> 	power off
> 	power on
> 	reset
>
> This means this command had better do a reset (or power off) no matter what...
>
> There is no way for such a STONITH external device to work for more
> than one host.  Hostlist never works for the external plugin.
>
> Now, if your STONITH -p option references a command, that command
> might take options, but a given stonith directive will never give that
> command different options (so you cant have * for a host name in
> stonith_host)
>
> There is no reference to any environment variables in the code.  The
> comment about $EXTERNAL appears to be incorrect.
>
> If you use stonith_host, then rpc.cfg isn't used by heartbeat.  It
> will get used by the manual stonith command, unless you invoke it with
> a -p or -f
> option.
>
> [...]

Hi,

with Marc's hint it works now: the "power state" was just there for testing.
Now, when the second node takes over it uses the correct stonith command and
the dead node is resetted or powered off.

I just don't know much about the interaction between heartbeat and stonith.
AFAIUI heartbeat just runs the command in the stonith_host line after the
foo:

stonith_host itaibi09 external foo /etc/ha.d/stonith.ibmrsa -h rsa-itaibi12
        -c "power off"

This turns the power off and that's the way it should do.

Next thing would be to run the scripts that take over NFS resources and
such...

Anyway, thanks.

Peter

--