[Linux-HA] non-IP Heartbeat over USB?

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 10 10:28:10 MST 2005

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> I assume 1-wire means "firewire"?

No. 1-wire is an improved version of I2C. I2C can work over short
distances (some feet, typically inside a case or on motherboard), while
1-wire can work some hundred meters. Typical use is for sensors in e.g.
weather stations, industrial plants or server farms (temperature,
humidity, fire detection).

> For node-to-node communication I'm not sure how firewire would work out
> though.

eth1394 (IP over firewire) seems to work fine with Kernel 2.6.x. At
2.4.x it freezed my nodes after short time testing it as DRDB-connection.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer