[Linux-HA] Is this heartbeat scenario possible ?

Boris Berger boris.berger at capgemini.com
Thu Mar 3 06:38:31 MST 2005

Hi all,

I am new to this list, I have just discovered the Linux-HA project. I am
interested in heartbeat capabilities, and I wanted to know if the following
scenario is possible :

I would like to distribute some applications on two servers. These two
servers
have to be seen as TWO servers (this means seen through 2 IP addresses).
When one server fails, the second takes back the applications of the first
one,
and has to be seen as TWO servers. This means there is no one master and one
slave.

- In normal operation :

   Server 1 :
            - Virtual IP 1
            - services A, B and C running.

   Server 2 :
            - Virtual IP 2
            - services D, E and F running.

   A, B and C are addressed through IP1
   D, E and F are addressed through IP2

- Fallback mode (fault on server 1) :

   server 2 :
            - virtual IP 1 and virtual IP 2
            - services A, B, C, D, E and F running.

   A, B and C remain addressed through IP1
   D, E and F remain addressed through IP2

I have no problem with data sharing. A SAN should be used
for data storage. The only constraint is that a service should
not run simultanously on server 1 and server 2.

Is this scenario possible with heartbeat? If it is not, can we imagine
two differents heartbeat mechanisms :

- heartbeat 1 : monitors A, B and C. Master on server 1, slave on server 2.
                manages the virtual IP 1.

- heartbeat 2 : monitors D, E and F. Slave on server 1, master on server 2.
                manages the virtual IP 2.

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

Boris.