[Linux-HA] DNS problem with heartbeat

Christof Amelunxen ca at ordix.de
Thu Jul 14 02:20:09 MDT 2005

Hi David,

David Lang sagte:
>> Anyway, why dont you just configure one of your nodes as DNS master and
>> the other one as slave and tell the clients to use them both as primary
>> and secondary. This way you wouldnt have to deal with cluster failover
>> at
>> all.
>
> The problem with this is that many (most??) clients will wait for the
> primary to time out before attempting a connection to the secondary. I've
> seen this add 30 seconds to all DNS requests when setup this way.

Thanks for the hint. On UNIX systems (just checked that with linux and
solaris) there is no real noticeable delay in dns resolutions if the
primary is down but windows clients may behave differently.

> being able to failover the IP address that everything is pointing at so
> that the primary DNS address is always up is a much nicer solution.

Switching the ip address may have advantages, that is true. But I would
recommend him to use the bind replication mechanism anyway, to avoid the
need for shared storage, data replication etc. and not let heartbeat
manage the startup and shutdown of bind but keep it running on both nodes.
I guess his problems are related to this in a way.

regards,
Christof