maximum Number of IPs in haresources

Horms horms at vergenet.net
Tue Apr 11 15:17:51 MDT 2000

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 12:00:55PM -0400, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a haresources file that contains 100 ip addresses for a node, each
> specified separately. When I attempt to start heartbeat I get the
> following error:
>
> [root at server1 /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/heartbeat start
> Starting High-Availability services: heartbeat: 2000/04/10_11:53:53 info:
> ***********************
> heartbeat: 2000/04/10_11:53:53 info: Configuration validated. Starting
> heartbeat.
> heartbeat: 2000/04/10_11:53:53 error: Bad nodename in
> /etc/ha.d/haresources [7]
> heartbeat: 2000/04/10_11:53:53 error: Configuration error, heartbeat not
> started.
> Heartbeat did not start [rc=1]                             [FAILED]
>
> My /etc/ha.d/haresources file looks like this:
>
> server1.e-corp.net 216.95.221.101 216.95.221.102 ... httpd
>
> There are 100 separate ip addressses specified together on the same line.
>
> If I replace the haresources file with one that looks like this:
>
> server1.e-corp.net 216.95.221.101 httpd
>
> Then all works fine.
>
> Is there a limit to the amount of ip addresses you can specify on a single
> line in the haresources file? If so, is there a work around for this?

Methods for reducing the number of addressed required are discussed
in another email but in answer to this quiestion the
maximum length for any line in haresources is 1024 characters.
You can modify this by changing the define MAXLINE in heartbeat.h

> One other thing, if I change the ip address in haresources and type
> `/usr/lib/heartbeat/heartbeat -r` the old ip doesn't get taken down, nor
> does heartbeat bring the new one up. And if I restart suing the rc script,
> heartbeat can't get the serial port back.

Resource not taken down:

I hadn't noticed this problem before. Essentially at this stage
heartbeat doesn't keep track if which resources it has active,
rather as state changes occur the haresources file is read and action
is taken. So if a resource disapears from the haresources file then
heartbeat is none the wiser. I am with Luis Goncalves on a scheme
to give nodes better knowlege of which nodes own which resources,
and as part of this your problem should be solved.

In the mean time you probably want to stop heartbeat, change the
haresources file then start heartbeat.

Serial Port problem.
Yikes, 0.4.7 does seem to have a problem. The version that is currently in
CVS does not. Alan, is it time for 0.4.7a to be released?

--
Horms