specifying ip range in haresources

Trevor Astrope astrope at e-corp.net
Tue Apr 11 13:01:26 MDT 2000

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're
suggesting, but I'll try and explain my setup better and maybe you could
suggest a better way I go about it...

I have 2 boxes running heartbeat: server1 and server2. server1 has the ip
address 216.95.221.2 and server2 has the ip address 216.95.221.3.

On server1 is all of our virtual customers web sites which are ip based
virtual hosts. There are currently about 50 or so of them.

On server2 are all of our company web sites which are also ip based
virtual hosts.

What I would like to do is have each machine fail over for the other. This
works fine when we are only talking a few IPs on each machine, but
heartbeat won't even start if there are a lot of IPs on the same line of
haresources. And if I specify them like below, the load goes way up and
heartbeat throws a fit and shuts down...

server1.e-corp.net 216.95.221.100
server1.e-corp.net 216.95.221.101
server1.e-corp.net 216.95.221.102

I'm not sure how to manage many IPs via a single IP as you outline below.
Our router is a Cisco 1604 and it has a gateway IP of 216.95.221.1. Both
machines use that IP as their gateway.

The reason for each machine failing over for the other is I would like to
get the clients away from the company sites and viceversa. Each machine
can handle the traffic for the other, allbeit, the machine doing the
failover could be heavily loaded. But I don't anticipate this situation
lasting for very long, as I'm unable to failover our postgres database, so
the idea is to get the down machine up asap.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I really need to be able to failover many
IPs or heartbeat is just of no use to me.

Thanks!

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Horms wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 08:32:43AM -0400, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to specify a range of ip addresses in the haresources file?
> > I have a class c and want to be able to failover about 50 ip addresses or
> > so to the other machine without subnetworking the class c. Does heartbeat
> > support linuxconf style ip ranges it uses to setup ip aliases?
> >
> > It would be great if I can specify something like this in my haresources
> > file:
> >
> > linux-ha1 192.168.1.50-100 httpd
>
> While this is proably a worthwhile feature to add I am curious to know
> more about your achitecture. To my mind when talking about failing over
> a large number of addresses, if they don't have to be handled independantly
> - one can be down while the rest are available - then it should be possible
> to route the addresses (class c) through a node that has a single
> ip address that is managed by heartbeat. o
>
> e.g.
>

> Border Router   ->     Heartbeat Box
>
> On Border Router;
> route add -net class_c broadcast 255.255.255.0 gw <IP managed by heartbeat>
>
> On Heartbeat Box(en):
> Do something funky with traffic for class_c such as accept it as local.
> ifconfig lo:0 class_c netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500
>

> If you have a _lot_ of addresses that are to be failed over and
> they can all fail over at once, then you have the potential
> to create a very large amount of ARP traffic, and in general
> have to manage a large number of resources where a few or even
> one could be used.
>

> --
> Horms

Regards,