specifying ip range in haresources

Horms horms at vergenet.net
Tue Apr 11 12:37:43 MDT 2000

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 08:32:43AM -0400, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to specify a range of ip addresses in the haresources file?
> I have a class c and want to be able to failover about 50 ip addresses or
> so to the other machine without subnetworking the class c. Does heartbeat
> support linuxconf style ip ranges it uses to setup ip aliases?
>
> It would be great if I can specify something like this in my haresources
> file:
>
> linux-ha1 192.168.1.50-100 httpd

While this is proably a worthwhile feature to add I am curious to know
more about your achitecture. To my mind when talking about failing over
a large number of addresses, if they don't have to be handled independantly
- one can be down while the rest are available - then it should be possible
to route the addresses (class c) through a node that has a single
ip address that is managed by heartbeat. o

e.g.

Border Router   ->     Heartbeat Box

On Border Router;
route add -net class_c broadcast 255.255.255.0 gw <IP managed by heartbeat>

On Heartbeat Box(en):
Do something funky with traffic for class_c such as accept it as local.
ifconfig lo:0 class_c netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500

If you have a _lot_ of addresses that are to be failed over and
they can all fail over at once, then you have the potential
to create a very large amount of ARP traffic, and in general
have to manage a large number of resources where a few or even
one could be used.

--
Horms