PICMG 2.12 Hot Swap specification draft available

Brian Ramsey bramsey at Lynx.COM
Mon Apr 3 19:40:44 MDT 2000

Alan:

As a matter of record, Lynx is reviewing this document, and I'm 'dismayed'
on what would lead you to characterize Lynx in this way.

Earlier this year, Lynx contributed its Linux CompactPCI backplane
Messenger  technology (blurb below) to the open source community under a
slightly modified version of MPL (changes to code references and
dates).  Both Messenger and BlueCat, our embedded Linux are distributed
without royalties (more than be said about all embedded Linux
distributions). Getting the SRPM up on our website has been a on-going
struggle with our webmaster's other priorities.  In the interim, I offered
to email the SRPM to members of the PCIMG 2.12 technical subcommittee last
week, and repeat the offer here to members of Linux-HA.

More recently. Lynx hosted the organizational meeting (March 1) for the
Embedded Linux Consortium  (ELC) in Chicago.

Brian Ramsey

bramsey at lynx.com

------------------------
Lynx Messenger
------------------------
Implemented as a Linux kernel extension and associated Application
Programming Interface (API) for messaging, Lynx Messenger is a technology
that enables CPUs (system and non-system) to exchange information on a
peer-to-peer basis across the CompactPCI backplane. The Linux open source
Messenger can also be used on a single CPU card to support communication
between the host CPU and PMC intelligent I/O processors across the on-board
PCI bus. This messaging API and technology is appropriate for loosely
coupled cooperative processing applications and for the split processing of
layered communications protocols.

High Availability is integral to the Messenger architecture. Included is a
sophisticated I/O Processor (IOP) manager that has "named object"
capabilities for creating a pool of I/O resources. The IOP manager monitors
the health of the system's resources and institutes a "heartbeat" test
protocol as necessary. If boards need replacing, the IOP manager interacts
with the HA event manager to assure a graceful extraction and then
initialization of newly inserted replacement boards.