PICMG 2.12 Hot Swap specification draft available

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Mon Apr 3 18:31:31 MDT 2000

John,

John Mehaffey wrote:

> The draft specification of the PICMG Hot Swap Infrastructure Interface
> Specification (PICMG 2.12) is now available for review.  You need to be
> a PICMG member (or know someone who is) to get access to this draft
> specification.
>
> The file is in the drafts directory of the picmg.org/member web page,
> and is called HSII2_12D0_75.pdf (dated 04/03/00).
>
> This specification extends the software interface definition of the
> PICMG 2.1 Hot Swap specification, and has operating system specific
> appendices for both Windows NT and Linux. Hot Swap, Hot Plug, and High
> Availability interfaces to Compact PCI hardware are covered by this
> specification.

There are great difficulties in trying to have Linux provide support for
a closed interface in the core kernel.  On the other hand, I read this
on the PICMG web site:

> PICMG is committed to open specifications, developed by member
> companies who represent a broad cross section of the industrial
> marketplace and available to all. Specifications are developed
> by technical committees composed of representatives of a group
> of member companies, placed in the public domain after a vote by
> all Executive members, and then maintained by PICMG.

Does this really mean that the spec will be placed in the public domain
(as in "freely copyable") after approval?  This seems in contradiction
to other parts of the web site.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com