Hardware Health Monitoring

Dominik Kubla dominik.kubla at uni-mainz.de
Sun Apr 2 23:54:03 MDT 2000

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 12:57:06PM -0700, Tom Brown wrote:

> alternatively, for folks with simpler needs (e.g. more standard
> motherboards?) there's the lm78 module from the beowulf project ... it's

Define standard if you please.

> trivial to compile (one .c file) and install (insmod) ... IMHO the
> lm-sensors stuff is "a mess to deal with" in comparison ... e.g. big
> kernel changes and a reboot...

The lm_sensors stuff is the the standard linux implementation for
hardware monitoring.  It is included in the 2.3.x kernel series.
So i advise anybody to use it with 2.2.x as well because that will
make transition to 2.4.x easier.

I have been using lm_sensors for over one year now and i can't say that i
experienced any problems.  As for updating the kernel sources: i routinely
add a couple of patches to the kernel (eg. the I/O accounting from sysstat
and the latest nfs code) so i dare say it's not much of a problem to rebuild
lm_sensors modules after you recompile the kernel...

Yours,
  Dominik
--
  Networking Group,  Hospital of Johannes Gutenberg-University
  Obere Zahlbacher Straße 69, 55101 Mainz, Germany