drbd (was nmbd)

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Nov 8 04:46:30 MST 1999

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:54:02 +0100, Philipp Reisner <kde at ist.org> said:

> I am not going into solving this issue, because this is somewhat beyond
> the socpe of drbd.

You *must* at least prevent it from happening (perhaps by making the
raid array readonly if there is only one disk present).  Otherwise, you
will get data corruption or data loss when the network is restored.

> I will rather concentrate on issues making drbd a viable choice for
> real world applications.

If you ignore cluster partition then it will never be a viable choice.
You don't have to solve the problem, but you do at least need to prevent
it from happening in some way.

For applications such as web or ftp servers, going readonly on a cluster
fault is perhaps quite acceptable.

--Stephen