ethernet channel bonding

George Bonser george at captech.com
Wed Nov 3 11:29:17 MST 1999

The last I heard, it did not work because of the way the round-robin code
determines that a channel is down. The trouble is that if you have two or
three channels bonded and one dies, you will get packet loss forever
because the driver never sees that the channel died.

Basicly, if the xmit buffer fills, it marks the channel down. Trouble is
that most cards throw away packets if the link is down so the buffer never
fills!

There is an alternative. Phobos has a quad NIC that they claim will
properly support bonding with their driver:

http://www.phobos.com

They also have some other neat hardware stuff for linux like load
balancing, ssl in hardware, etc.