MAC addr takeover

Michael Rowan mtr at cutaway.com
Mon Oct 19 11:37:25 MDT 1998

Zou Youyong wrote:

> Flavius Bindea wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new on this mail list and I don't have many knowledge about
> > HA, but this is a very interesting feature.
> >

> I am also new to this mail list :-) .
>
> > Why should MAC takeover be implemented. Is IP takeover not
> > enough ?
> >
> >                                 Flav
>
> I think IP takeover is enough.
> If you want to use MAC takeover just for the problem of flushing
> ARP table, then maybe there is a easy way to do it ?
> when machine B takeover machine A 's working IP address, broadcast
> its new ARP to every machine in LAN ,include client and router.
> To broadcast a new ARP, you may write a small program, or just
> use "ping" . If you ping a Null  ip address in LAN , it will broadcast
> ARP automatic and flush client's arp table.
> I have test this on  many machine.
>
>                         zou.

Unless everyone has rewritten their arp code, its not true
on all platforms.  You get widely different results from my
experience.  Perhaps my experience is a bit dated, but then
so is the hardware base within most corporations (meaning,
there are a ton of people still running Win3.1 for instance
;-)

mtr