Heartbeats - Alan's doc

Trevor Coghlan trevor at interback.com
Mon Oct 19 09:18:28 MDT 1998

At 07:07 AM 10/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>trevorc at home.com wrote:
>
>> I've been a lurker on this list for a while....   but I just read Alan's
>> HA webpage..
>>
>> A comment on heartbeats...
>>
>> 1. both will be required simultaneously.
>
>Do you mean multiple types of heartbeat monitors?  For example, serial
>and IP?
Yes...  the serial would be inexpensive enough (hardware wise), in a two
node config that it would be silly not to use it in addition to the
ethernet (IP) connection.  Another SPOF avoided !

The only objection I can see to not using an ethernet (IP) heartbeat
topology is slots.  Possibily parallel port ethernet adapters with a
crossover utp cable ?

>> 2. the switch referred to for the serial topology,  is this a
>> commercially available device today ?
>
>I believe so.  I saw what I *think* is that switch in the Black Box
>catalog.
Like a printer switch but for serial ?  Why ?

trevor coghlan