MAC addr takeover

David Lang dlang at diginsite.com
Fri Oct 16 18:26:38 MDT 1998

the problem is not a changing mac address on a switch port, but the mac
address changing from one switch port to another without (in some cases
like a OS crash) a disconnect from the switch. two examples

3com switch 3000 15 min timeout on a mac address, immediate timeout if the
port is disconnected (link lost on that port)

Cisco Catalyst 5000 15 min timeout on a mac address, no reduction if the
port is disconnected.

everything will clear up in a few min (these values are settable, but if
set to low your switch wasts bandwidth and cpu figuring things out
repeatedly) but during this time there is no way to tell the switch that
the mac address is no longer on one port and is instead on the other port.

Daid Lang