Any tools for switch over, changing IP addresses, etc?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Oct 6 18:08:44 MDT 1998

Hi Per-Ola,

At 12:16 AM 10/7/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello Richard,
>
>Three follow-up questions,
>
>1) What type of apps do you run at the two (web/oracle/sybase/informix?

We run a locally developed Dataflex application via terminal access
(ancient :-) and Samba.

We intend to split these and have the Application running on one machine
and Samba running on the other machine.

>2) How quickly (no outage, one transaction loss or  3 minutes outage)?

We can accept 3-5 minute outage, however, we do need gratuitous ARP, as all
the devices are on the same segment, and we need them to be able to reach
the services that have switched over.

>3) What type of meltdown do you plan to sustain?
>(app/os/disk/controller/memory/cpu)?

Application problems are not ours to worry about.  We are mainly worried
about hardware failures that take the machine out.  The customer depends on
their application, and having redundent machines there makes it very easy
to switch over.

We currently run rsync and rsync the data between the two machines every
fifteen minutes, which works well.

>I'm just a bit curious about how we, people on this list, think and what the
>targets are.
>Where are the boundaries/limitations, targets and possibilities?

Well, I would like to be able to build systems like IBM's HACMP or
Digital's DECsafe ASE, but that involves many of the things that the HOW-To
talks about, like SCSI Y cables, and lots of software that no one seems
willing to write.

>Regards,
>  /peo
>
>Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I notice that this list is not a high volume list.
>>
>> I have a site where we have two identical machines (dual 200MHz
>> dual-processor Pentium Pro's), and we would like to switch the machines
>> around quickly in the event of a failure on the primary machine.
>>
>> Are there any tools to help with this?  We need to move IP addresses
>> around, and it seems like Linux 2.0.35 does not do gratuitous ARP when an
>> interface is ifconfig'd.
>>
>> Regards
>> -------
>> Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
>> NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
>> Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
>> Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...

Regards
-------