Another possible inter-node communication system

alanr at bell-labs.com alanr at bell-labs.com
Tue Mar 10 21:38:21 MST 1998

Thanks for all the up-to-date references.  I looked at the specs (again), and
it looks *possible* to do a keep-alive using it, perhaps even for "N" machines.
 That's why I sent it out.  I suspect the Linux drivers are months (a year?)
away from being able to do all we'd like for that purpose though.  It looks
like one might be able use it as a sort of "poor-man's TCP".  Connection setup
time could be a problem with "N" machines all vying to send trivial packets to
each other :-)  It looks like the "multiplexer mode" (LM-MUX mode) might be
useful for letting each machine grab the link and query "who's there?" perhaps
without setting up N-squared individual connections.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com